Sanford Police Animal Control Officer

For Your Information
from your Animal Control Officer...

The Law:

  • All dogs over 6 months of age must be licensed by the State of Maine through the town they reside in by January 1st of each year.
    To register your dog online visit the State of Maine Dog Licensing Online Purchasing & Renewal Service or the town dept-town clerk.
    You will need a current rabies certificate, previous license number if you have one and a method of payment.
  • Rabies and license tags must be worn by the dog they were issued to at all times! It is the only way of contacting you in the event that your pet becomes lost. And it is the law.
  • Sanford/Springvale has a leash law. If your dog is off your property, it must be controlled by a leash of not more than 8 feet in length at all times.A dog not under similar control in a vehicle being driven or parked on or in the streets or other public areas; and an obedience trained dog.(Article II, 78-4)
  • You are required to "scoop your pet's poop" in all public areas. This includes roadways. Pet waste may not be disposed of in public waste receptacles.
  • Cats over 3 months old are also required to have a current rabies certificate. Rabies in cats is on the rise due to owners inconsistently vaccinating their cats for rabies.
  • The town's noise ordinance applies to dogs and birds as well. A noisy animal is usually an unhappy animal and the best solution is to find out why and try to solve that issue.
  • It is a violation of town ordinance to feed the ducks on public property. It can cause health issues and damage to the parks.


  • Cats need collars/identification too! Without ID, shelters are only required to hold your cat for 48 hours.
  • To help reduce the "feral"/stray cat population - Spay or Neuter your own cats! It's healthier for all.
  • Please let the wildlife stay wild! Observe from a distance but do not touch, especially babies- mom is hiding nearby but will not show herself until you are long gone.
  • Opossums are one of Maine's newest residence; they are not native to our area but seem to be establishing themselves here. They are timid and harmless, although they will "hiss" and show their teeth when cornered. They're more likely to "play dead" rather than run away when frightened. They are best left to wander off on their own accord.

Contact Your Animal Control Officer:

  • For educational material, more information on animal care, resource information such as low cost clinics, spay/neuter programs, pet training/behavior issues or any other questions you may have.
  • If you can no longer care for your pet, or are struggling to care for it properly, and need help.
  • Any time you have concerns about the health or well being of any animal, domestic or wild.

(207) 324-3644 X 131

Animal Control Officer

Lauren Masellas: